Monday, January 10, 2011

Tomato Basil Bisque Soup

I've been making tons of butternut squash lately to make into baby food, so when I found this recipe I thought it'd be perfect! Plus it's been SO COLD, why not have a delicious soup to warm you up!

Tomato Basil Bisque
*Serves 4 - 6
Note: I cooked my butternut squash the day before and stored it in the refrigerator. Worked great!

Ingredients:
1 medium butternut squash (about 1 1/2 cups cooked squash)
1 tablespoon butter (I used olive oil to lighten it up)
1/4 cup finely diced onion
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 can (14.5 oz) Italian-stewed tomatoes
1 cup chicken stock
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half (I used the latter)
1/3 - 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions:
Prepare the butternut squash by preheating your oven to 375 degrees. Cut your squash in half and clean out the string and seeds. Place the squash on a baking sheet lightly sprayed with cooking spray, cut side down. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes, or until soft all the way through. Let it cool about 15 minutes before scooping out the flesh. If preparing the day before, scoop out the flesh and place in a tupperware. Let cool completely. Cover and refrigerate until using it in the soup. If using the squash immediately, scoop the squash into the blender or food processor.

While the squash is cooking, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter (or heat the olive oil) and saute the onion until soft and translucent. Add the minced garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Scoop the onion/garlic mixture in the blender or food processor with the squash.

Add the canned tomatoes (undrained) to the blender or food processor. Process until the mixture is smooth. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and add the chicken broth, salt, sugar, basil and cream (or half-and-half). Stir to combine well. Heat over medium-low heat until the soup is warm. Do not let the mixture boil or simmer to avoid the cream curdling. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. May I say... YUM! Sick, snow, and hubs has to go to the store today anyawy to pick up meds... I'm sending him a list and putting him to work on this soup to make me feel better! :)

    PS: I'm giving you an award! Stop by my blog ot pick it up!

    ReplyDelete